Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Look Within

It's been some time since I last wrote. It's more when the mood strikes me, and even more when I'm
moved to such an extent that some of it must definitely go down somewhere. Here's another attempt at expressing things which I don't generally know how to convey.
But there's one thing I definitely learnt, and I don't apply it all the time, but still here it is nevertheless,
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it is called the present"
                                    - Master Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

When you look inside yourself, tell me what you see.
Is there someone smiling back at you? Is there a sense of accomplishment?
Or is there something lacking? Something still to be done?
Or is it just a jumble of thoughts that refuses to come undone?

I just see a vacuum, like a dark hole one might say.
It represents the few things that I’ve done,
And the million more still waiting in line.

It’s always been a bit of a gamble,
Choosing this career over that (or rather life choosing it for you),
Deciding how to still go after my desire.
The list of things to be done keeps mounting higher and higher.

So what is it that you see?
A choice of yours that’s supported by all?
Or fighting tooth and nail to get acceptance?
Or not giving a damn and doing what you want?

I see an ocean of opportunities,
Some I grabbed on to, some I let slip away.
But there are still some things that come to haunt me,
Every single night and day.

I see a life filled with happiness,
Being loved and cared for gives you a kind of energy,
A positivity to deal with anything,
A determination to give up nothing.

What do you come across?
A life spent being the ‘pampered one’ at home?
Or taking on responsibility from an age when you couldn’t even spell the word?
Or moving on your chosen path and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel?

I see some wonderful lessons learnt.
Some that’ll last me a lifetime.
And one of them’s to make the most of this day,
As that’s really what you have power over.

So tell me what you see?
It’s not so much about raking up past scars,
As it is about reminiscing fond memories,
And the feeling as the wind ruffles your hair,
With a gentle caress as if patting your head.
The ebb of the stream as it flows down the hills,
The rush of water still imparting that same oft repeated thought,
“Time is galloping ahead,
Learn not to gallop,
Instead just flow along,
Going where the wind takes you,
Living how your mind makes you,
And loving as your heart has shaped you…"
The past cannot affect you today, the future is beyond you, just the ripples you make today are what matter.

4 comments:

  1. Great work Dhruv. Your writing urges me to introspect that is one of the qualities everyone should inculcate. Adding my two cents below :)
    Earlier when I used to look inside, it was all jumbled inside and mostly in times of desperate callings. But nowadays it is happening often in both up and down times. Now it has transformed to smoothness and brightness inside. My inner self is less hostile than before and making way for true 'Me'. I can give credits for this to my evolving thought prices, to beautiful friends who make my life worthwhile and my family whose warmth is always with me.
    Whatever it is, journey has begun and i expect more smiles ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'll definitely have more smiles ahead :)
      That's one thing I can promise you. It's the way we lead our life, our choices, that determine where we may go on in the future. And your case has always been one which truly personifies the fact, "Good things happen to good people" :D

      Delete
  2. Dhruv, your ability to detach yourself from the the mundane rigmarole of daily life, and to be able to reflect on all that has happened in life is a rare, precious and unique quality. Not to mention inspiring. Most of the people today are living from one month's salary to the other, coupled with numerous problems,expenses and tensions in the middle. They carry a baggage, a burden on their heads which they themselves are unable to shed.

    Your writings are like a much needed gasp of fresh air, and they make one want to pause, take a deep breath and reflect.

    I know you will find your 'true calling' that you speak of. Meanwhile, never stop writing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton! The fact that my writing could make you feel that way is a great compliment for me. I often try and write, and sometimes I think that today I'll write something different or something that I never thought of. But mostly it always comes down to writing from personal experience because that's what you have faced in life and understand at a deep level. I'll continue writing for sure. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete